Text

The home page shows the most recent blog entry. To explore the blog and for information on the MA Landscape Architecture course please click on the menus below. 'So you want to be a landscape architect?' recounts the highs and lows of my conversion year at Leeds Metropolitan. The Masters section is dedicated to my MA year on exchange in Sweden and back in Leeds.
Some of the contents pages above open up into new sites, such as my pintrest page.
If you are looking for my official work and portfolio as a Landscape Architecture student then please visit my website www. soniajackett. com

All below images are strictly copyright of © Sonia Jackett 2013.

Friday 7 September 2012

Yorkshire Sculpture Park



Sungazer by William Turnbull 


My first full day in Leeds…

I woke up, walked through the city center and left Leeds! No, I was not running far, I headed to YSP – Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I walked from my new abode in Woodhouse and headed in to the town center to get to the train station. Rather than ride down on my bike, I wanted to walk the route first as I am absolutely terrified of the manic one way system, the behemonth, the spiders web, that is, the Leeds ring road.

I ventured out, on a surprisingly sunny day, and walked down Albion Street until I hit the station. Bought my ticket to Wakefield Westgate, alighted there and walked the 5 or 6 minute walk to the bus station where I had to get the bus to YSP. (For brevity’s sake I’ll leave out any comments on Wakefield, but the city is undergoing something of a boost and I plan on revisiting, lest not of all to see Chipperfiel’s Hepworth Wakefield Gallery – one of the front runners for this years Stirling Prize– so check back later in the year).

I arrived at the bus station, queued for 15 minutes only to be informed that I had just missed a bus, no you cant buy tickets here, and the stand it went from was…she wasn’t sure. No matter! It’s a wonderful warm day, I’m a pyschogeorapher at large…so I sat in the bus station and read my book. I am a pyschogeographer who starts a two-year Masters next week and one who has definitely not done enough reading….

When the bus did arrive (the no.96 to Barnsley Interchangevia West Bretton) the bus driver, a rather robust fellow, shouted (imagine hybrid Yorkshire/Lancashire accent)…

“NUHMBUH NIHHHHNTI SIHX T’BAAAAHHHHRRRNSSLLLEH.”

Up I stepped: “Can I h…”

“YUHRRKSHIRE SCULPT’re PAHHHRK LUV?”

“Oh yes please!”

“H’DID I KNOW EH? THAT’S FUH QUID LUV”

This bus trip was quite simply one of the best I’ve had in my life! My bus driver was Peter Kay! His best lines included “MY WIHFE’D HAV SUPERMAN IN A HEALTH UN SAFETY CHECK. OFF HE’D GOHH AND ‘WOOOAH WOOAH WOAAH – WE HAVEN’T DUN’RISKASSESMENT YET! BACK YUH COME”

Anyway! Eventually I am here! YSP!

Cascade Bridge at Yorkshire Sculpture Park

YSP is a truly breathtaking experience – as I walked around I couldn’t decide what was actually worth coming to see more; the art or the Bretton Estate itself. Of course, I suppose the point is, that one should come to see them both – the Bretton Estate is not a complete natural country park, in most areas it is a actually an 18th to early 19th century carefully contrived pleasure park following the lines popular picturesque lines of landscape design.

View of the Lower Lake from Cascade Bridge

As I walked across the Cascade Bridge and along the route set out by the Upper Lake I had that feeling I can only describe as “Fresh Air Breath.” That precise moment when you inhale fresh air and simultaneously stumble upon a perfect scene. When you exhale you seem to be at peace and exude happiness. There is nothing quite like it. This is the scene I saw….



Due to my late arrival and schedule in the evening, I was only at the park for a mere 3 and a half hours – I will be going back, but take my advice – plan ahead, plan well, because you’ll need at least a full day to do it all justice at a nice comfortable speed. Stay longer if you can.

Below are some of my favourites from the works I saw and some brief thoughts about them.





TREES by Dennis Oppenheim

As I came across this work I had to squint my eyes and immediately broke out into a wide eyed smile…is that, a rubbish bin?!?!? Trees is a witty and amusing installation that comments on the creation of natural and man made environments and landscapes.






PROMENADE by Anthony Caro

This sculpture is unavoidable as one walks down to the lake. The rhythm and movement on the pieces, steel painted grey, are suggestive – the piece encourages the viewer to walk amongst its individual pieces. Likewise the act of walking from one end of the sculpture to the other is embedded in its title.




SPIEGELEI by Jem Finer

This work by the polymath Jem Finer is a wonderful little creation situated on a footpath, tucked between main body of the park, and the Lower Lake. The inverted camera obscura makes for an interesting alternative view of the surrounding estate.







THE NOW AND KISS by Nigel Hall

I don’t know much about Nigel Hall but these two pieces struck a cord with me. I liked their shape, their clear-cut lines and boldness amongst the picturesque setting of the garden they were situated in. There was even something faintly architectural in them for me, the sense of balancing and equilibrium also.





RED SLATE LINE by Richard Long

I also saw Richard Long’s Red Slate Line…as I was assessing the installation a woman arose out of the bushes and exclaimed “Well I’m extremely disappointed!” It seems she was hoping for something a tad more colossal. Yet, what is so poignant about Long’s work is not its scale or need to impress – indeed the whole point about his work is subtlety. That his practice embraces the simple act of walking as an art means that no material piece is going burst out of the hedgerows – it’s not about scale or impression. Rather, in his own words, it is about “walking and marking about place, locality, time, distance and measurement…the reality of landscapes.”[1]





[1] http://www.richardlong.org

No comments: