Text

The home page shows the most recent blog entry. To explore the blog and for information on the MA Landscape Architecture course please click on the menus below. 'So you want to be a landscape architect?' recounts the highs and lows of my conversion year at Leeds Metropolitan. The Masters section is dedicated to my MA year on exchange in Sweden and back in Leeds.
Some of the contents pages above open up into new sites, such as my pintrest page.
If you are looking for my official work and portfolio as a Landscape Architecture student then please visit my website www. soniajackett. com

All below images are strictly copyright of © Sonia Jackett 2013.

Friday 12 October 2012

Urban Landscapes: Neighbourhood Analysis




We chose not to represent the buildings, keeping the model simple will allow us to adapt it at a later stage when thinking about the 'vision' for the site


Armley Mills represented on the model

Working on the model

On Tuesday we had our interim submission and progress meeting for the above module. Its a group based module, and, luckily, I have a pretty good group. I've been working with James, Jamie, Simon and Alex. Who have a backgrounds in Architecture, Town and Country Planning, Maths and Management/Gardening and English Literature, respectively. The five of us put together an analysis of the study area (which the above model is based on) – situated around Armley Mills, Armley, West Leeds. Overall the presentation went really well and below I have included some of my (yet to be refined) slides from the presentation.

Base plan on autoCAD of the study area with access mapped on in Indesign

Base plan on autoCAD of the study area with access and blockages mapped on in Indesign

Distances of local amenities from housing estate within study area to Armley Town Centre (just south west of study area) compared to those suggested by the Urban Design Compendium

The aim of this module is to help us understand, as a Landscape Designer, an existing place. This is the main theme of the first part of the module – the second will be to create a ‘vision’ for the site in accordance with what we have analysed about the area – i.e how it can maximise on its positive assets, overcome its problems and how offer an idea of its potential for the future.

We concluded the presentation by commenting that we felt there were 4 key areas with opportunities for development; connections, creating an identity, blue and green infrastructure and improving crime and safety.

The vision – essentially a more flexible pre-cursor to the masterplan – is the exciting part of the module. Here we really get to explore potentialities and also, be designers. So watch this space!

An artistic interpretation of the study site and some thoughts...

As I walked in to the picnic area beside the mill I was confronted with wonderful overgrown willow trees and vegetation - to me this area summed up the Genius Loci of the area around Armley Mills

Willow Trees



As part of the end to part 1, we were asked to write a short reflection on our individual work - I've included mine as I think it may convey some important messages to those on, or thinking of starting, a conversion course (and may also answer any questions for friends I haven't spoken to in a while!)

"My responsibility for the analysis and survey presentation was to show local connections and access; and to compare local destinations in Armley with a theoretical model. Initially, I was excited about finally getting to grips with some computer programs…a real design student! This (obviously) quickly gave way to tears of frustration.

 I persevered however and in the end was very pleased with work I created. Research and theory is my background, so I felt quite comfortable with that – but transcribing the information into a visual dimension has been an eye opener.

This part of the project has made me realise that:

1)    I can’t expect to learn everything all at once and not to put too much pressure on myself
2)    Though I’m very efficient with my time overall, I need to readjust how much time I dedicate to reading versus how much I spend with other methods that can be equally informative, i.e.; sketching, site visits, looking at maps etc.  

I like to be very organised and am quite keen - the group knows this but it’s been more of a jokey subject than one that has annoyed them (I hope!).

I felt we did really well in the presentation – we were all very clear and concise and shared the work equally. I’m very excited for the next stage."


No comments: