Text

The home page shows the most recent blog entry. To explore the blog and for information on the MA Landscape Architecture course please click on the menus below. 'So you want to be a landscape architect?' recounts the highs and lows of my conversion year at Leeds Metropolitan. The Masters section is dedicated to my MA year on exchange in Sweden and back in Leeds.
Some of the contents pages above open up into new sites, such as my pintrest page.
If you are looking for my official work and portfolio as a Landscape Architecture student then please visit my website www. soniajackett. com

All below images are strictly copyright of © Sonia Jackett 2013.

Monday 21 January 2013

Visuals and Style



Part of my development as a Landscape Architect is finding my own style – and I think I can see one emerging. Although my photoshop skills are not yet (we’ll be kind and say) ‘that good’, I am finding out more and more what I like. I would love to be able to do truly good photoshop visuals  - the kind you see on official competitions and landscape architect websites. I’m sure that will come in time. Yet that’s not actually what I’m interested in pursuing. Below are some images I completed for the most recent hand in  - Design with Plants.






I like the bricolage, collagist effect – I think its fun and edgy and thought provoking at the same time. I strongly admire the bricolages and collage landscapes of Taktyk, last year’s winners of the Topos Landscape Award. They comment that bricolage can lead to "unpredictable and unexpected assemblages…This approach beings great flexibility to multiple projects (in terms of scale and typology) addressed within the practice, where a taste for the unstable and the versatile is reflected in prospective scenarios…”

Discovering the opacity scale on photoshop....
Chimney Place - Calm

Chimney Place - Wild
You can tell its all a huge, fast paced, learning curve - there's only a matter of weeks - literally about 2 or 3 - between the top two images and these two images. 

With my background in Architectural History and History of Art, I am also influenced by the Orphist’s Robert and Sonia Delaunay and notions of Bergsonian flux. The layering aesthetics of De Stijl and the Bauhaus stir something inside me and I believe in the Collage City postmodern theories of Colin Rowe. These are elements that lend themselves easily to the collage method.

Robert Delaunay's Eiffel Tower 1909-1914

The Lonely Metropolitan by Herbert Bayer


No comments: