Text

The home page shows the most recent blog entry. To explore the blog and for information on the MA Landscape Architecture course please click on the menus below. 'So you want to be a landscape architect?' recounts the highs and lows of my conversion year at Leeds Metropolitan. The Masters section is dedicated to my MA year on exchange in Sweden and back in Leeds.
Some of the contents pages above open up into new sites, such as my pintrest page.
If you are looking for my official work and portfolio as a Landscape Architecture student then please visit my website www. soniajackett. com

All below images are strictly copyright of © Sonia Jackett 2013.

Saturday 30 March 2013

Rendering a Masterplan (How to)


No idea how to render a masterplan? Neither did I two weeks ago. How then?

Quite simply, I watched some YouTube tutorials. No joke. When people said that’s all they did – I honest to god did not believe them. But after I’d watched two, I realized it’s essentially colouring in  - but on a computer. The rest I guess, is just practice.

It also helps if you have some rather nice people kicking about the studio or some super talented friends that are willing to help you, such as my friend Nisha Gandhi (check out her website it’s pretty damn good!).

So what I’ve done here is put together a list of some useful links and tutorials to help you get started.

And remember the 3 golden rules

1.     WORK ON A NEW LAYER
2.      CONSTANTLY SAVE YOUR WORK
3.     LEAVE TWICE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU THINK YOU NEED!!!!

(and 4 – have fun!)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  • Some people have had some rather negative things to say about the videos by this guy, but I think for a total beginner who has no confidence or no idea how to use Photoshop these videos are a godsend - Chris Harrison goes through everything slowly and methodologically. 


Longer, more indepth versions here and here.



  • The absolute messiah however seems to be Alex Hogrefe – if you haven’t already, check out his website to understand why!



  • For textures most people just google but getting the right angle can be annoying – try this website for some instant textures.





  • In terms of inspiration, or a style you'd like to imitate (or even sourcing elements of your entourage or again, finding the right texture) I cannot recommend Pintrest enough.  It’s totally free. If you don’t have an account – get one! (and follow me.)



  • Some good books to get out from the library are:





and the soon to be released;



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




No comments: