Text

The home page shows the most recent blog entry. To explore the blog and for information on the MA Landscape Architecture course please click on the menus below. 'So you want to be a landscape architect?' recounts the highs and lows of my conversion year at Leeds Metropolitan. The Masters section is dedicated to my MA year on exchange in Sweden and back in Leeds.
Some of the contents pages above open up into new sites, such as my pintrest page.
If you are looking for my official work and portfolio as a Landscape Architecture student then please visit my website www. soniajackett. com

All below images are strictly copyright of © Sonia Jackett 2013.

Monday 21 January 2013

Public Space/Design with Plants


We handed in on the morning of the 16th January – a double module; Urban Landscapes Public Space and Design with Plants. The site was Armley Mills, the area; Chimney Place and the task was to design a low maintenance immersive landscape. The Pubic Space module focused on hard landscaping, construction and fine detailing. The Design with Plants module…..well, I think you can guess.





The aims for Design with Plants were, amongst others:

  • To develop a theoretical understanding of the wide scale context of planting issues, key designers and stylistic variation.
  • To investigate and develop skills and best practice in the development of planting scheme proposals
  • To review the principles and process of planting design including management implications.
  • To investigate and develop skills and best practice in the development of planting scheme proposals at an appropriate scale.
  • To investigate the process of planting strategies, design and planting proposals
  • To develop a knowledge of key planting styles and designers
  • To develop a knowledge of management issues
  • To extend the students vocabulary of plants.

I started off with high hopes, buzzing with ideas but in the end I felt my design to be quite average. Not that I wasn’t happy with the end result – in fact I was incredibly proud of what I had achieved. But it was my first time going through the whole design process – and there was just so much to think about, that innovative ideas, I feel, got left by the wayside. Still it is a learning process and there’s always next time…

As you can probably guess from the time between my last post and this one – and I feel I mentioned last time too, the work has stepped up a notch. If you want value for money at university – do a design degree. The lead up to hand in was probably the hardest I’ve ever worked in my life and extremely intense- it was also fun, and rewarding. I truly enjoyed every minute of it.

After spending a solid week or two on CAD – I feel quite comfortable on it now. I actually began to enjoy it! My next two goals are to spend some time on photoshop and googlesketch up. 

So it all starts with a sketch design, an initial artistic concept of the design....(which I almost didn't put up, because I dislike it so much - had a bit of trouble with planting symbols - got a bit better by the time I got to the client's plan! See below...)

It was necessary to keep the train tracks in the site so my design worked with them. I was influenced by linearity in design such as Martha Schwartz's Power Lines and Tom Leader's Shanghai Carpet

The two main sheets for the hard landscape module are the Layout Plan and the Construction Details



The below image show's my thought process in terms of soft landscaping...




Both my tutors, for these modules (Emma Oldroyd for the hard landscape and Steven Heywood for the soft landscape) are two of the reasons I am extremely glad I came to Leeds Met. It is refreshing to have tutors that are so involved and dedicated to their subject – that they really push and challenge you in a way that can only be good for you (even when it seems like its not!). They both demand a lot, and have very high standards, but it’s the kind of attitude that’s “I love landscape architecture, I’m excited by it, I give a 100% - so should you.” And I do. 


No comments: